June 4, 2011

There's always a question

I remembered that my teacher training professor told me that a good way to start a thesis is to find a problem and try to solve it. At first, do observations, and try to find a pattern or discuss "why." Then you have your questions to solve.

In my case, I want to deal with the climate information design due to the severe condition in recent years.

What I observed:
1. Information design appeared in all kind of media, including newspaper, magazine, television, ads, and Internet.
2. Their function is to deliver a message, a statistic, or a truth.
3. They may be treated as a secondary element supporting the designer's main idea.
4. There are millions of ways to make info graphics. Not all of them are able to communicate. A single info graphic is abstracted and can be perceived differently.
5. People perceive symbols and relate to something else based on their past experience and culture.
6. Information tends to be a one way trip, not getting feedback.

What I want to convey:
1. My audience is the general public.
2. Make information accessible and easy to understand.
3. Make info graphic itself interesting enough to have people's attention?
4. Raise people's awareness of environment and take action in real life.

The result:
What can I do in my thesis are:
1. How to make info graphics meaningful, understandable, and interesting?
2. Using different media to discuss the possibility and efficiency of communication.
3. Can information design trigger people's interest and take action? How?
4. Real devices to have people to interact.

No comments:

Post a Comment