June 4, 2011

Information Anxiety 2 ch.5 & 6

Ch.5 The structure of conversation
Ch.6 Talk is deep

Although these chapters are talking about how to brand a online website or store, I still found it somewhat useful for my thesis. Dealing with information, it's about simplification and clarification. A good information design should not conclude all information on the plate all at once. The key is to give your audience the "teaser." And then to interest them to go further.

The book mentioned that X generation can handle multitasks at the same time. They developed the skills of quick scanning the information on television, and Internet. It is the efficiency not the aesthetics that matters. For me, I still think the simplified info should be both useful and beautiful to seduce audience to view the interface at some point. Designers have the power to direct the info to the direction they wanna pursue the audience as if the conversation is a way to have some body's mind across.

The author talks about the most efficient way to communicate is to have a conversation "face to face." You can get the response immediately and make adjustment according to your partner. The same idea for my thesis is to trigger people to think and act. I don't want my audience to be passive receivers. I want them to interact. How can I make them to act? I've been thinking about despite all the information I give them, it's time for them to give some feedback.

I have 2 ideas so far:
1. Connect my information design to social network. People can have their voice back.
2. Create a real advice to interact with people.Or can it be used combined with other industry?
For example, a friend of mine created a project to reduce metro card waste by collecting them with a real robot machine. They wrote a programme to use sensor to detect metro card. Once you put the metro card in the machine, it will show your lucky motto on the LCD screen. People are curious about this and are willing to put cards into the machine. So the machine is successful of catching people's attention and get interacted with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment